Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Summertime, and the Living is Easy

For those who are interested:
This summer, I began as an "administrative assistant" for Van DeMark & Associates, residential appraisal firm, located directly opposite my house at 11804 Wolf Run Lane in Clifton, Virginia. It wasn't the most exciting position I've ever held, but the pay was good and the commute easy. I worked there for about 2 weeks, while continuing to file resumes for an internship somewhere else. Finally, I got a call from Updata Advisors, an investment bank, doing Mergers & Acquisitions in the information technology field. I went in for an interview, and left with a job.

The following Monday, I started work as the sole undergraduate intern for Updata Advisors.
Since I began work for Updata, I've met some fantastic people, had books recommended to me (and read them), learned a ton about IT companies that I probably would otherwise have never heard of, and overall had a great experience there.

I've had visits from friends from school, moved my living quarters to the basement to allow for a little more privacy and space from Mom, which (I think) has improved our relationship ten-fold. I've been to a DC United game, a couple of Nationals games, and plan to attend an Orioles game on Thursday of this week for Dad's company outing, as the Orioles take on the Mariners. I've been to my cousin, Lauren's "final," big performance of her high school career, at The Bitter End, in New York City, a Yellow Jackets concert at Blues Alley in Georgetown, and a Guster concert where Pete Yorn opened at Wolftrap. I helped big brother, Stephen, move into his apartment in Newport News, and helped throw a 23rd birthday/housewarming party for him that he won't soon forget. I've thrown parties, enjoyed the company of friends I've missed during the school year, been lonely & miserable, got over being lonely & miserable, got happy & contented, and missed Williamsburg terribly.

I've dealt with and adjusted to living in a "broken home," as it is just Mom and I in Clifton now. I've gotten used to seeing Dad only occasionally, even when I'm home from school, and to being the one who's supposed to worry about him when I haven't heard from him in a couple of days, or he's feeling sad. I've seen a lot of bitterness, a lot of hope, and a lot of confusion. I've seen negative thoughts and feelings change into positive ones. I've seen good days and bad.

I continue to listen and learn from everyone and everything around me.

At the end of the day, I still have a lot of faith in people. I trust that everything will work itself out, that the stove will be fixed (eventually), that my family's heart will be fixed (eventually), that friendships will hold on and support themselves, that baseball games will still be played on even the hottest days of the summer, that rock & roll and jazz will always have fans, that one bad day does not determine a lifetime, that my piano will forever be my solace, that the weather doesn't have to determine my mood, that the world will keep turning, and that happiness lies within.

I've taken a job teaching piano to a 16-year-old girl in Williamsburg for the fall semester. School begins on the 29th of August, but I'll most likely be moving into my new home in Landrum Hall on the 25th, as I can't wait to get back to my life there. I know this will be a challenging semester, but I'm looking forward to facing that challenge before leaving the country in the spring, for a semester in Strassbourg, France. Until then, I'm learning new things with each new day, experiencing life, and planning little-by-little to allow for some spontaneity.

Pictures to come soon.

No comments: