Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This Is Why I Love Philosophy. It's So...Cryptic.

I started my reading for Philosophy of Religion today. The material is extremely dense, and I can see this class eating up a good amount of my life. But I love the professor. And I love the subject matter. So, I'm sticking it out. Plus, I need it for my major. Here's how the opening of this book goes, to give you a taste of what I'm in for:

"The divine Nature exists through itself. There is, therefore, a certain Nature, or Substance, or Essence, which is through itself good and great, and through itself is what is it; and through which exists whatever is truly good, or great, or has any existence at all; and which is the supreme good being, the supreme great being, being or subsisting as supreme, that is, the highest of all existing beings. Just as this Nature exists through itself, and other beings through it, so it derive existences from itself, and other beings from it."

I am scared of this class.

No comments: